Monday, December 13, 2010

104:117 Lover Mine by JR Ward

The 8th book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood. This one centers around the relationship of Xhex and John Matthew although like the one with Phury, the romance is not always the front and center. If you've read the other books, you know John's feelings and you know Xhex feels something but is in denial. What you get more than anything here is some backstory on her, watching Tohrment start coming out of his head, Lash and the Lessers, more on Payne/Blay/Qhuinn. I appreciate those books more as the characters are growing and enriching the world rather than trying to force some unknown female into the arms of one of the Brothers while you scratch your head trying to figure out why two people (no matter race) who don't know each other and appear to have nothing in common end up together.

My big complaints with this book were the lack of the females except in medical situations (and only barely there then) and the weird abbreviatory talk that would get thrown in not during a conversation but just in random ways. It was odd and half the time I would have to actually stop to figure out what it was supposed to mean simply because it was so out of place. I don't mind it when it flows naturally but in many cases it didn't and it broke the spell of reading when it showed up. Otherwise, I enjoyed it. I still don't go chomping the bit to get the next one but it's become enjoyable to borrow.

Page count: 512p/38,091p ytd

No comments: