Tuesday, September 01, 2009

And the wheel keeps spinning out of control

I woke up stiff, sore, and more tired than I went to bed. The kids woke up shortly after me and started running through the house like the wild monkeys they are. The day went sideways from there. It took forever to get them to settle down and get some work done but once they settled down, things did get done.

I tried to make myself a hair appointment and succeeded in making one only to then realize that Mark had a whiskey thing this weekend and when I was able to find out the times, find out that there was a total conflict so I had to call and leave a message to reschedule. That seems to happen all too often which is why I so rarely make appointments for myself to get things done.

When it was time to get Nico and Jon out the door for Jon's soccer practice, Nico didn't complain about the clothes I picked out and put on him but then stripped himself naked and had a tantrum because I put the pants on first and this time he wanted the shirt put on first. Usually the tantrum is because I put the shirt on first. Apparently I can't win no matter which way I go and the most fun part is that he says nothing and helps get the clothes on until he's fully dressed when he then realizes that I've just given him ammunition for a temper tantrum. Ugh! This tantrum lasts 10min with him screaming at me to dress him shirt first and me telling him that no, since he got himself undressed he can put his clothes back on in any order he wants but if he doesn't do it soon, he's going to soccer practice in his undies. He then threatens to kill me, repeatedly. Now it's not like I take this threat seriously but it's the fact that this is unacceptable behavior that needs to stop. So I tossed him and his clothes out of my room and locked the door. He stood outside the door kicking it and continuing his tantrum. When he started slowing down, I opened the door and asked him why I should let him in if he was going to kill me. He said he wasn't going to do that and that he loved me and a bunch of other stuff I didn't quite catch but which was apologetic in tone rather than threatening. So I brought him back in and 10min later finally had him dressed again with him doing most of the work. Ugh!

But hey, at least we were ready and got to soccer practice only 10min late despite this. Not bad. I let Nico run around a little bit and then headed to the car so I could go home to work on dinner and laundry since Jonathan gets a ride home from one of the other moms. I get to my car, buckle Nico in, put my key in the ignition, turn it, and...nothing! Not the click or trying to turn over of a dead battery but absolutely nothing. Now I had driven it there less than 20min previously with no problems so I knew there was no way the battery could drain that fast but we've been having one of the standard problems with the battery which is the connections get wiggled loose after a while so I popped the hood and wiggled and sure enough, I fixed it. I also managed to trip the alarm. Now my alarm, when tripped, doesn't let the car start until it's been reset. The only way to reset it is to use the clicker thingy that has been busted for years. It still works but it's not in good shape and doesn't attach to anything any more. It last broke off in the house so in the house it had stayed. Which doesn't do me any good when I need it an I'm a couple of miles from home with a 3yr old and a car alarm going off. I figured out how to shut it up by making sure all doors were closed so I did that and just kept a window open so I could take care of Nico who was still strapped in happily snacking and watching a movie on the DVD player. Then I called my FIL who was out to dinner to see if he could help. They were on their dessert course but afterward, he was able to swing by my house and pick up the clicker and sure enough, right after that I was able to drive home, no problem.

After that, it was just the normal bedtime crapola getting everyone dressed and into bed. I'm sure hoping tomorrow goes smoother than today.

No comments: